Hiring is the most important people function you have, and most of us aren’t as good at it as we think. Refocusing your resources on hiring better will have a higher return than almost any training program you can develop.
Like every industry, law firms are operating in a new and constantly changing landscape. This includes the ongoing challenge of attracting, hiring, and retaining high-quality talent to enable firm growth. A well-designed plan will increase your odds of success in the war for talent.
4 Steps to Ensure Success
1. Getting Back to the Basics
- Reconnect to your firm’s vision. Your vision shapes everything you do, from the clients you attract, the policies and procedures you establish, and the talent you recruit.
- Take an honest look at your culture. Does it reflect your vision? Does it invite a second look from potential talent? Ensure your culture is collaborative, inclusive, respectful, and built on integrity.
- Promote your success. Post client reviews, case studies, awards, and accolades that substantiate your vision and culture
2. Marketing Your Openings
- SEO – Optimize your website for keywords that align with talented lawyers who may be considering other opportunities.
- Create blog content that reinforces your vision and culture while providing engaging topics that attract talent.
- Leverage social media platforms to build an audience. It will increase your reach when posting openings on your roster.
- Include video marketing on your website.
- Cultivate an in-depth referral network. Be active in online events.
- Work with a legal recruiting firm. It adds a whole other layer of marketing the position and searching for talent.
3. Flexibility Is Essential
- Creating a flexible culture that empowers attorneys to self-manage their work hours and location is a significant draw for new talent.
- Flexibility applies to your candidate requirements too. Of course, you have specific skills, education, and experience needed to fill the position, but allowing for some flexibility may very well open the door to the talent you don’t want to miss.
4. Finally, Make Competitive Offers
- Be willing to offer the market rate plus little.
- Include sign-on bonuses.
- Don’t forget the other perks, including benefits, flexibility, travel expenses, and even refinancing for student loans. Of course, you don’t have to offer everything but pay attention to what current talent is seeking.
At OnBoard Legal, we recognize that attorneys are the economic engine of law firms. We find specific attorneys that support our client’s growth objectives. We do this by combining deep knowledge of the legal industry with decades of practical experience in conducting high-level searches. Our ability to find and deliver talent is how we drive value for our clients.